A major statutory inquiry into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland has issued an appeal for victims and survivors now living in Great Britain, Australia, Canada and the United States to come forward.
Rolf Harris update: BBC announcing arrest, more details here
The BBC have announced that Rolf Harris has been arrested. I am aware that whenever there is any news about the allegations of sexual offences against Rolf Harris, The Needle receives a steep increase in traffic. Without wishing in anyway to seem unsupportive of the victims in this particular case, I’d like to take this opportunity to write about something far more widespread.
Over the last 40 years or more, the care home system in the UK has been targeted by paedophiles, producers of Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) material (child pornogaphy) , the trafficking of children for sexual exploitation, and on occasion the murder of victims, either because their deaths become sick entertainment , or because they knew too much.
Some of this has been extremely well organised and is not restricted to one or two local authorities. This is a problem that is widespread.
When I first became aware of this I felt ashamed of myself. I felt ashamed because I had assumed that the most vulnerable in our society, children in need of care of the state, were safe. To find out that that was not the case and that because, in part, of my ignorance, the sexual abuse of children was being exploited and perpetuated was very difficult.
But now I am no longer ignorant, now I know what has been going on. Ignorance is not a crime but to turn away once all ignorance has been dispelled is morally reprehensible.
There has been a systemic cover up of the truth. One reason for this is due to the fact that many child abusers hold great power, a second reason for this is because CSA is an underworld industry which makes a great deal of money and therefore corruption is rife, a third reason for this is because some people mistakenly thought that moving a problem elsewhere solved it, and finally because with so many powerful people implicated for the three previous reasons, it has become an issue of national security.
I’d like to appeal to every parent and grandparent who reads this. This is not just historic this is a very real child safeguarding issue today.
Now I’ve told you, now you know, remember the words of Edmund Burke, and do not turn away.
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
reblogged from TheNeedleBlog
- Rolf Harris held last month by Jimmy Savile sex probe police (standard.co.uk)
- Jimmy Savile report: Rape victim told to forget about it and move on (mirror.co.uk)
- Rolf Harris axed from TV following ‘sex abuse’ arrest (express.co.uk)
- Comic Davidson held over sex claims (bbc.co.uk)
- Travis bailed on new assault claims (bbc.co.uk)
- “Forget about it”: What police told Jimmy Savile rape victim as vital evidence ignored for 50 years (mirror.co.uk)
- RUC didn’t treat Jimmy Savile abuse claim seriously (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Ritual Abuse: Convictions and Evidence the media hide and deny (tellaboutabuse.wordpress.com)
- The Ricki Lake Show – Stolen Childhoods, Failure to Protect: Institutional Response to Child Sexual Abuse, Ritual Crimes in Africa (tellaboutabuse.wordpress.com)
- Rochdale Over 20 Years Ago (tellaboutabuse.wordpress.com)
Sinn Féin – Gerry Adams as a witness
How to avoiding and report online crimes against children, including images of child sexual abuse and grooming of children for later abuse.